Year 7 Application

Important Information:

Thank you for your interest in applying for a place at McKinnon SC.

We currently do not have enrolment packs available and given the current situation, McKinnon Secondary College has postponed all school tours and our Open Night.

On this page is information on our application process. Next term, we will have our enrolment pack online under this tab.

Please print off the Pink Form and bring to our office with proof of residency once school opens again, date TBA. Applications will be due by 22 May unless circumstances change. Please refer to our website next term for any updates.

Please note, students not living in zone will not be allocated a place. A delay of moving in zone may mean that you miss out on preferences, as other applicants will be ahead of you and express their preferences earlier. Also, your child may miss sitting for the ELMS test on September 12th, if you are interested in this opportunity.

If you need further information, please contact the Year 7 Transition team using the following email address:


Please contact Mrs Jenny De Kretser (transition manager) or Mrs Theresa Ford (transition support) -, at McKinnon Secondary College prior to purchasing or renting a property within the school zone if you are intending to apply for a Year 7 place in 2020.

Our College's pink expression of interest form must be completed by ALL students applying to McKinnon Secondary College. All Year 7 applicants to McKinnon SC must submit the pink form with the precise evidence attached, to the McKinnon SC General Office by Friday 22 May.

If you attend a State primary school, you must ALSO complete the white forms issued by them. Return these forms to your primary school. Your State primary school will advise the closing date for both the white and the pink forms.

All applicants must include a COPY of the student’s latest School Report available (eg Grade 5 end of year) regardless of which criteria you choose.

Only copies of documents should be sent. Documents will not be returned to applicants, unless special arrangements are made. Additional invoices to resident address may be submitted but the full electricity bill must be included.

Evidence of Residence

Those claiming “in zone” or “closest school” status also need to provide…
  • Whether you own or lease property MUST have at least 2 bedrooms.
  • COPY of current Council Rates Notice OR current Lease/Rent Agreement from a registered real estate agent in the name of the primary parent/guardian on previous page.  A current 12 month lease must extend to at least June 1, 2021.  If your lease expires prior to June 1, 2021 the primary parent must obtain a letter from the registered real estate agent (on the agent’s letterhead) stating that the landlord will renew the lease or be prepared to offer another 12 month lease (extension).  This letter MUST BE an ORIGINAL (not a COPY).  The College expectation is that you will continue to live in zone. You must provide us with your renewed lease up to June 1, 2021 to keep your student’s place at MSC.
  • COPY of a bond receipt (if renting/leasing, from a registered real estate agent),
  • COPY of a recent electricity bill with matching parent/guardian and address as on previous page. The electricity bill must indicate reasonable usage appropriate to the number of people living in house. Gas, phone, water bills are not acceptable substitutes.
  • COPY of a current Victorian Driver’s Licence in the name of the primary parent/guardian providing the current address,
  • COPY of the student’s birth certificate, current passport (if available) and a recent full School Report,
  • COPY of a visa if the student has been born overseas (not in Australia), and
  • COPY of removalist’s records/receipt on their letterhead (for families that have moved in zone in the previous 12 months).
  • COPY of a map with your residence clearly marked X must be enclosed with your application.

Priority Order of Placement

Due to the exceptional growth of the College’s student population and limited infrastructure, we are often only able to enrol students who reside permanently within the College’s zone. We expect students’ families will remain permanent residents within the zone for the duration of their child’s education at McKinnon Secondary College.

Therefore, as there are often insufficient Year 7 places at McKinnon Secondary College for all students who seek entry, students are enrolled in the following priority order:
  1. Students for whom the school is the designated neighbourhood school (ie: those residing within the McKinnon Secondary College Zone).
  2. Students with a sibling at the same permanent address who are attending McKinnon Secondary College at the same time, in McKinnon Secondary College zone. Siblings living out of zone may not be accepted dependant on enrolment numbers.
  3. Where the regional director has restricted the enrolment, students who reside nearest to the school. McKinnon Secondary College is a zoned school so NEAREST is highly unlikely to guarantee a place in 2021. 


      Unfortunately we cannot accommodate all those who apply - in many cases the College is only able to accommodate students who are in zone or siblings of current students. Every application will be considered and a decision made, on the basis of evidence supplied.

      State primary schools will notify parents of results of placement applications in August, Term 3 2020. This will occur on a date specified by the Department of Education & Training. Successful Private primary school applicants will be notified by McKinnon Secondary College in August, Term 3 2020.